An Extranet is
a collaborative network that uses Internet Technology to link businesses
with their suppliers, customers or other businesses that share common
goals. An Extranet can be viewed as part of a company's
Intranet that is made accessible to other companies or that it is a
collaboration with other companies.
An Extranet would seem
to require a degree of security and privacy from competitors.
It also might be viewed as an intersection set of a number of different
Security and privacy
could be obtained either by ensuring that transmission lines were
privately owned or leased, by tunneling through the Internet, or by
using the Internet with special forms of security protection and
Some advantages to utilizing an
Extranet are the following:
- Company-wide communications, email, and program
- Inter-company business communications and
- Consumer support,
- Online sales,
- Conducting E-commerce in a secure socket,
- Firewall protection,
- Password protection,
- Secure internal operations.
- Vendor and supplier access,
- World-wide product leverage.